Black Wireless powers up on its own after shutdown

I got some new Beaglebone Black Wireless units in and I’m booting them from an SD card that I’ve been using with other wireless units and a plan Black. On the other units when I shutdown the system with

sudo shutdown -h now

The system stays powered down. With one of these new units, it shuts down and then immediately boots again.

I’ve not seen this behavior before so any thoughts on what to do about it would be appreciated.

How are you powering the boards??

From micro USB or 5 volt barrel??

Ken

5 volt barrel. I had a prior wireless that I used with the 5 volt barrel and I think when I shut it down it stayed down. Maybe not. The non-wireless black is powered by microUSB.

OK.

My experience was powering the board from both USB and 5 volt barrel shutdown causes a reboot however when powering it from one source shutdown works.

It’s a thing with the TI power management chip.

Try and power only from USB an see what it does

Ken

I’m only powering from the barrel. I don’t have USB connected to the wireless at all.

Well that’s the extent of my ideas.

You could try and power it off only from the USB and see if it reacts the same.

In either case it sounds like a power management issue.

If you can compare the diagram with the card to look for changes. Power chip used now with boards the work correctly.

Sorry
Ken

My experience was powering the board from both USB and 5 volt barrel shutdown causes a reboot however when powering it from one source shutdown works.

Shutdown works fine for me even when powered both ways. I wonder if it’s somehow dependent on the actual supplies used, though I have no idea how or why.

The TPS65217 is definitely kinda wonky though and has weird issues. Though, I’ve never heard of a complete refusal to shut down regardless of how it’s powered. I wonder if something is pulling down the power-button line when the board is off (a (partial) short to the neighbouring reset pin or something?).

If you have access to a scope it might be interesting to monitor the power button line (P9.09) during an attempt to shut down (and P9.05 (input power) if you have a second channel, and maybe SYS_5V on P9.07 if you have a third channel).

Zmatt,

You and I have been here before twice. My BBB’s do the same thing if dual powered. Restart. Single supply shut down.

KenUnix

I do have a scope so I’ll check that out. I’m single powered just from a 5V DC barrel. No USB is connected.