chipsee beaglebone lcd/dvi expansion kernel support

Did you happen to get around to this?

I have a Chipsee screen with the original DVD, but the Linux image which is on the DVD is corrupt. I am also looking for a working pre-built image (or a kernel package) for either Debian or Ubuntu.

Hey guys,

As promised. Ubuntu 12.04 BBB image for the Chipsee 7” 1024x600 LCD touchscreen.

Grab it here:
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/sdFGPZoIw6/

You should find yourself downloading bbb-ubuntu-12.04-for-community.xz

Just extract and write that to your SD card (4gb expected) with something like:

cat bbb-ubuntu-12.04-for-community.xz | xz -d > /dev/sdX

Note it’s a raw sector dump NOT a tarball, so extract straight to your SD card device. (eg. /dev/sdx, NOT /dev/sdx1)

Also note this image doesn’t install or boot from MMC so make sure you’ve got the SD card selected on the boot switch thing.

Once the extract is complete, simply slap it into the BBB and boot. It should come up with the Chipsee splash screen but then
boot into Ubuntu 12.04 after a while.

Hope this helps.

l8r,
Xris.

Sorry I didn’t mention concerning my Ubuntu img for Chipsee 7" on BBB. The login/pwd is root:root. The touchscreen and OpenGL ES are working. One of the OpenGL demos is in the root home folder.

• xris

Excellent. thanks.

I’ll give it a whirl tonight.

The previous file share expired. File can now be found at:

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/pxPvW1nVwM/

Hey,

thank you very much for this, display and touch works excellent!

Can you help me with serial ports? I cant get RS232 ports on Chipsee to work. Maybe need some more configuration…

-Jukka

torstai, 23. tammikuuta 2014 20.12.25 UTC+2 xris....@googlemail.com kirjoitti:

I get the splash screen, but that is all. Any ideas?

Concerning the serial ports, from my ever notes:

UART0 is up already and available on the debug header.

UART1 is already setup correctly but here it is anyway:

echo 20 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/uart1_rxd # (P9 26 UART1_RXD)
echo 0 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/uart1_txd # (P9 24 UART1Â_TXD)

UART2 needs this or it won’t work. Makes sense.

echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/spi0_d0 # (P9 22 UART2_RXD)
echo 21 > /sys/kernel/debug/omap_mux/spi0_sclk # (P9 21 UART2_TXD)

It seems the hardware on my Chipsee 7” LCD/Touchscreen for the BBB is broken. I tested the serial using a loop-back wire on the P9 header on the BBB (pins 26,24 for UART1 and pins 22, 21 for UART2) and it works perfectly. Plug the cape in and do the same thing on the green header with the PC level RS232 and it doesn’t. So it must be the cape. :frowning:

UPDATE:

The DB9 connector works perfectly for UART1 but the green connector doesn’t.
The green connector works perfectly for UART2 (provided you’ve muxed the pins like above)

NOTE: Getting UART2 working remuxes some pins from the SPI to the UART. I checked that this doesn’t effect the MMC or the touchscreen. It doesn’t. All good. Couldn’t check if the eMMC is affected since this EZSDK kernel i’m using doesn’t

Is this for the cap touch screen or the resistive screen?

Password for login?

root root

OK, so I get to the login and can get past that to command line.

The only thing I see to run on this image is ./OGLES2Water

Should there be an X server or something?

No you have to install your own. If you are looking for a desktop environment you have to install that yourself as well. I tried LXDE and everything worked, including the touch input.

Hey,

I have been testing this and otherwise it works well, but BBB is rebooting approx. once a day. There is some discussion threads that says it could be power related problem and some say Ångstrom Linux works better. What do you think? Have you experienced any sudden reboots? Would it be possible for you to create an Ångstrom image with Chipsee support?

-Jukka

torstai, 23. tammikuuta 2014 20.12.25 UTC+2 xris....@googlemail.com kirjoitti:

Hey there,

I actually did notice some rebooting issues but it seems to have stopped. I have a theory it’s related to networking. When I don’t have the ethernet port plugged in. It’s just a crazy theory. Haven’t taken the time to prove this. But it is definitely staying up ATM.

Yes, I could probably get Angstrom working. Not sure when I’ll have the time but I’ll try.

Maybe one of you guys can try it for me in the meantime. If you’ve got my image, simply wipe out the rootfs (mkfs.ext?) and copy the Anstrom one over and see if it boots. Oh, and don’t forget to copy the /lib/modules/3.x.x modules & such over as well.

Also does anyone know if Robert Nelsons BBB ubuntu 12.04 or later which doesn’t support the LCD is causing the same rebooting issue?

l8r,
xris.

Chipsee sent me a link a few days ago. They apparently have an Angstrom image that works.

prebuilt file you can download here: http://yunpan.cn/Qp89esFUqQ3i5
or here: http://pan.baidu.com/s/1bnAFJWj

I have not tried either as of yet.

I can confirm that the image from the first link http://yunpan.cn/Qp89esFUqQ3i5 works.

-Kevin

I would very much like to get the angstrom image working,
I tried to download this link, but the page is in Chinese. I clicked all the buttons, but nothing happened. Can you repost the file somewhere?

Thanks, Russ

Yes, I can confirm it too!

I noticed Angstrom webpages are down and I need to download some stuff for it, you guys know any alternative sites?

-Jukka

torstai, 20. helmikuuta 2014 21.44.42 UTC+2 nguye...@gmail.com kirjoitti: