chipsee beaglebone lcd/dvi expansion kernel support

This isn’t the “right” way to do it but it will work.

1. Download the Debian Wheezy 7.2 img from and install it on an SD Card using the instructions on the site.
    http://www.armhf.com/index.php/boards/beaglebone-black/

2. Download the pre-built Angstrom image from Chipsee
    http://www.4shared.com/rar/8lKQ5nSBba/prebuilt-angstrom-bbb-exp-2014.html

3. Extract the pre-built Angstrom image somewhere.

4. Copy the ‘boot’ folder from the Angstrom image to the SD Card and replace any duplicate files.

5. Plug in the SD Card and boot up.

Note: I haven’t verified but if you follow these instructions I don’t think you can flash to the eMMC unless you edit the uEnv.txt

Hi all

I have a BBB board and a BBB Expansion and I want to build Linux for it. Not prebuild image. Can you show me kernel Linux and tutorial for this?

This works well, though it doesn’t seem to work for the ubuntu image. Working on seeing if booting from eMMC is possible. The eMMC is disabled in the am335x-bbb-exp.dts. After adding the following code below to enable the eMMC worked but the LCD stopped working too.

These should be of help elinux and eewiki

Forgot this one too wiki.ti

I have the ubuntu image working, I’m just running it off of the SD card though. I haven’t had time to work on moving it to the eMMC.

-Kevin

Did you followed the same procedure given above for the black to run the expansion v3 on beagle board xm. I am trying to run ubuntu on beagle board xm and interface with the chipsee (expansion board)

Hello, I’m working with the 12.04 image, dmesg doesn’t recognize speakers or headphones, Can anyone help??? Thanks in advance.

Two questions:

1. how do I stop the image from looking for internet? I just want it to run on its own and boot up quickly. I don’t want to connect to the internet.
  2. I think chipsee finally has a debian image. Does anyone have a copy?

I’m also interested in debian image
giorgiofox@gmail.com

Hi… for the debian image… I think it is already available under recent Chipsee 2014 DVD… image file name is: BBB_Exp_Debian20140522.img.xz

Please check Chipsee customer support for it, they are very friendly.

Hi there I installed the image that came with the dvd, it works, but I cannot access the GPIO with node, with octalbonescript this is the error CapeMgr not found: undefined
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/octalbonescript/index.js:155
var n = pin.gpio;
^
TypeError: Cannot read property ‘gpio’ of undefined

with bonescript:

/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bonescript/index.js:161
if(typeof resp.err != ‘undefined’) {
^
TypeError: Cannot read property ‘err’ of undefined

Anyone have a solution?

Hello all,

I am new to Beaglebone Black (making the jump from the arduino/chipkit world) and am having some difficulty with this Chipsee 7" capacitive cape. I feel I am banging my head against the wall over something simple, but could some one provide a walk through for just getting started with the display. I have the BBB working to an external display via HDMI, but am not able to get the lcd to work unless I use an existing .img. I am trying to use one of Chipsee’s provided prebuilt images, but am having trouble.

Chipsee’s directions state to use:
sudo su ./mksdcard.sh /dev/sdX (X in this instance is a after checking with fdisk -l)

But I keep getting either no passwd for ./mksdcard.sh. If I drop the sudo su I get permission denied. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi;

If I understand you correctly, you need to use either “su” or “sudo” but not both.

If you enter:

sudo . /mksdcard.sh /dev/sdX

It will prompt you for a password.

Just use the password that you used to login.

Bill

“No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing” Edmond Burke (1729 - 1797)

http://www.packtpub.com/building-a-home-security-system-with-beaglebone/book

Hi Fernando… the issues looks like typical nodejs modules installations issues.

Did you install nodejs yourself or it came on the image?

There are a few but major changes regarding how to access the gpios between the kernel 3.2 and 3.8… so I recommend you make sure you have the right nodejs version installed. And also reinstall all the modules by the package manager.

Bill,
I tried your advice and the .sh file doesn’t fun. I am using Debian and the cpu monitor usage runs at 100% when I do this. But it fails to write anything to the sd card. After some back and forth with chipsee customer support, I received a message to update a line from
–device) shift; device=$1; shift; ;;
to
–device) shift; device=$1p; shift; ;;

I am not that familiar with linux as one can tell, but it seems the change just “appends” a p to what ever I type for the device. I can upload a copy of the zip to dropbox or something if anyone wants to look at it.

Hi there Mahammad,

First thank you for your response, so the nodejs came with the image, I can try updating and post here my findings.

I also tried octalbonescript and the author said that the library don’t support capes, I don’t know if it is the case with bonescript as well,
but I will try update the nodejs.

Thanks.

Martin,
Did you get it working? I am interested in loading debian on it just as you. I am new to the linux community and have benging my head against the wall for over a week with this. I partitioned a blank sd card to an acceptable beaglebone format, otherwise the sd is automatically labled /dev/mmcblkXXX When I attempt to run the mksdcard.sh and reference the appropriately partitioned SD card, the mksdcard script runs, (displays warning box) but fails immediately. If you can assist in any way or send a link to your dropbox that would be greatly appreciated!
-Patrick

Hi Martin, I had it working more than a year ago with the LCD and touch drivers I extracted from the 2013 DVD. I cocked a customized image because there was no debian at that time. I did not check the latest DVD but I know it got debian and several other flavors. If your DVD dose not have it then I think chipsee customers support should be able to share it with you I think. They are very friendly.

Regarding the mkcard scripts… I doubt the partition is auto mounted. And device writing apps cant go with mounted partitions.

Hello , you could upload the image again? thank you