Debug tool for M4 processors in BBAI

Hi
I and another student have been tasked with exploring ways to develop for the M4 processor using BBAI. We’ve had difficulty finding a good debug setup, preferably one where you could step through instructions in the M4 processors.

Could anyone point us towards whats worth looking in to?

Regards, Fredrik Eriksson

I think I have a similar question in that I’m hoping to develop an application (as much of a software defined radio application as I can cram into this platform) which utilizes the C66 DSP’s on the BB-X15. I’m trying to converge on a process for developing a TI RTOS application for the C66’s on the BB-X15 which is compatible with the BB Debian distro running on the A15’s. More on this later, hopefully.

I imagine you’ve already stumbled upon the following, but it seems like a good starting point.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/processors/f/791/t/765821.

Also google all of the examples on of PRU applications . My guess is that may also shed some light on how to develop and debug code for the other processors on the Sitara SOC of interest.

I just received a USB100V2 JTAG cable, and I hope to start hacking on this on my BB-X15 in my spare time. I have a lot of questions on how this works, and I will post up when I think I have something worthwhile or relevant…

Also, please post up as you make progress as I imagine there are others wanting guidance on developing applications on the other processors on the SOC and interfacing Linux to them. There’s not a lot of postings on the C66 or M4…

Thank you for the link, we hadn’t stumbled across that one yet.

I fully agree with you that there isn’t alot to read about C66 or M4. Which is a bit unexpected since there is alot of possible application areas.

Currently we are stuck on trying to get any code to run at all on the M4 using remoteproc which demands a resource table.
When we get code running we’ll post it here for future reference.

We have a XDS 110 Debug probe and is going to mod the card according to https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-ai/issues/21.
When/if we get this working to debug the M4 we’ll post that as well.

Best of luck with your project!

tisdag 9 februari 2021 kl. 15:14:46 UTC+1 skrev jeff....@gmail.com:

OpenVX,cmem,PRU and remote proc support today

https://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-linux/esd/docs/latest/linux/index.html

Looks like good examples here .I also saw M4 example on github.

Dont see any documents on using Debian Linux and DSP Why?
and wonder if that OS will supply tools to get the DSP executable transferred in correct format
Cant even imagine debugging this with printf LOL and no jtag
The DSP has to be taken out of rest when running linux

Its documented here below why in the world someone would not use CCS and JTAG? and expect to run IPC on 6 core chip with no documents is beyond me. Any commercial customer would never accept being stonewalled by a vendor

Perhaps Debain/Beagle is for hobbyists only I dont know

And for Dimtry GCC is supported

10.1. Target — Processor SDK RTOS Documentation

[

10.1. Target — Processor SDK RTOS Documentation

](https://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-rtos/esd/docs/06_03_00_106/rtos/index_how_to_guides.html)

The following examples demonstrate some of the rudimentary IPC capabilities. They are mostly two processors examples. These examples may be built for any two processors on your device, but only for two at a time. An IPC Ping example using three processors is also presented at the end.

Why?

OpenVX,cmem,PRU and remote proc support today

https://software-dl.ti.com/processor-sdk-linux/esd/docs/latest/linux/index.html

Thanks Mark for providing us all this!

I tried starting to port one of the main examples from TI RTOS SDK into the latest Beagleboard-X15 images this weekend. Built the IPC example under the link you posted yesterday. Scp’d server_dsp1.xe66 to the SD card and then linked to it, and attempted to load.

It looks like it started to load but then complained that the resource table is not found. I have lots more homework to do…

My plan dejour is to try to see how far I can get with that example on BB Debian and TI SDK Linux.

I do plan to develop the DSP application with CCS and JTAG, and deploy it using remoteproc from Linux once it’s debugged.

Don’t know if there are currently any Linux tools for debugging the other cores.

But at this point I’m not sure where this will all lead…

But it sounds like there’s an appetite within the Beagle community to get this tested and working… My guess is the more applications that can access the other processors on the SOC, the merrier for BB.org and TI…

Hi Jeff its not easy to find and is confusing
I have bought many boards and found out they did not do what I hoped
I have an update BBAI is supported that is very good news the EVM is $600
Be aware that BBAI rev A1 I think needs a mod for JTAG

Just to be clear I am not a linux expert so it appears all cores are supported and the Linux on Host ARM is SDK version it may night support all the bells Debian has for device drivers

I have many years using DSP/BIOS and CCS and JTAG at board support level not Linux apps

Theres a lot of tools here and RTOS and dual cores isnt something you pick up over night

Pleny of good tutorials On learning TI RTOS using CCS and JTAG for a DSP application its really complex for a beginner and throw in MPUs and Cache and threads and 6 cores you really could spend a month learning tools alone

In all fairness a single core AM35X is simpler the beauty is TI has gel scripts to handle all cores and load code internally until MPU is set up for quick and simple apps on ARM and fast learning and low cost the Debian/Beagle approach is probally better its pretty obvious I am RTOS fan (-:

TI has world class tools and good documents

I cant help anyone that insists on mixing the Debian on ARM with TI RTOS on DSP I’m not qualified it may be possible

Looks like I was also wrong about omap l138 support for SDK the docs are confusing so maybe I buy a BBAI its cheaper than the EVM and play around I miss work I took care of mom 3 years she passed away October so I apologize at times Im grouchy

Hopefully I helped someone that feels good as well Im excited reading these docs so maybe I make a come back!!!
and find some work

Regards

The SDK includes a real-time multitasking kernel, FAT file system, network communications support, examples, and drivers. The exact content of the SDK depends on the capabilities of the device, but all devices share common APIs and build on existing proven software components to ensure reliability and quality. The software components are fully tested to ensure that they work together with TI’s Code Composer Studio integrated development environment.

Supported Platforms

Platform | Supported Devices | Supported EVMs |

BeagleBone® AI AM5729 development board for embedded Artificial Intellig…

What is BeagleBone® AI?

Built on the proven BeagleBoard.org® open source Linux approach, Bea…

Thanks Mark for providing us all this!

I tried starting to port one of the main examples from TI RTOS SDK into the latest Beagleboard-X15 images this weekend. Built the IPC example under the link you posted yesterday. Scp’d server_dsp1.xe66 to the SD card and then linked to it, and attempted to load.

It looks like it started to load but then complained that the resource table is not found. I have lots more homework to do…

My plan dejour is to try to see how far I can get with that example on BB Debian and TI SDK Linux.

I do plan to develop the DSP application with CCS and JTAG, and deploy it using remoteproc from Linux once it’s debugged.

Don’t know if there are currently any Linux tools for debugging the other cores.

But at this point I’m not sure where this will all lead…

But it sounds like there’s an appetite within the Beagle community to get this tested and working… My guess is the more applications that can access the other processors on the SOC, the merrier for BB.org and TI…

Thanks Mark for your words of wizdom on here and in our email chats! You helped me look for the linker command file for the DSP build. The linker is allocating space for the resource table, but I don’t see where the server_dsp1 code is statically initializing the table in the RTOS SDK linux build (DRA7XX_linux_elf build for ex02_message). I just need to make sure that the DSP1 build’s resource table is getting initialized and retry and see if the remoteproc error goes away on the BB.ORG latest BB-X15 build which I am loading all of the DSP/IPU images (built under TI SDK RTOS) onto.

I did notice that the IPU code under the same example DOES appear to be statically initializing it’s resource table, so I thought I’d give loading that a try with remoteproc on the latest Debian image for the BB-X15 by deleting the exitsing IPU load on the Debian image, ln -s to it in /lib/firmware, bind it, and look at the dmesg remoteproc traffic. I see something interesting here and hopefully promissing!! Maybe a good intermediate step would be to build the application side of the ex02 linux application natively on the BB-X15 and see if it will pingpong the 14 messages with IPU1 on the Debian build as shown on the TI IPC examples…

This is just a baby step, but it maybe of interest to someone…

Built the entire ex02_message example under TI SDK RTOS

SCP’ed IPU1 build under example02 on TI SDK to the latest Debian BB-X15 image on target.

beagle:/lib/firmware ln -s /home/debian/ipc-starter/server_ipu1.xem4 dra7-ipu1-fw.xem4

echo 58820000.ipu > unbind
96 dmesg|grep remote
97 echo 58820000.ipu > bind
98 dmesg|grep remote

[16120.924223] remoteproc remoteproc0: stopped remote processor 58820000.ipu
[16120.924561] remoteproc remoteproc0: releasing 58820000.ipu
[16140.961256] remoteproc remoteproc0: 58820000.ipu is available
[16140.969895] remoteproc remoteproc0: powering up 58820000.ipu
[16140.969921] remoteproc remoteproc0: Booting fw image dra7-ipu1-fw.xem4, size 3984688
[16140.989530] remoteproc remoteproc0: registered virtio0 (type 7)
[16140.989540] remoteproc remoteproc0: remote processor 58820000.ipu is now up

Anyhow, lots more things to try!! If I’m able to root out configuration errors that are obvious to me, I’ll do so and post up here and on E2E (and maybe other places) when I’m stuck…

Let me know if you have any advice or want me to try anything!

Jeff

Also I believe there was a default IPU image on the Debian BB-X15 image, which I overwrote in /lib firmware which remote proc also gave the same messages as above (didn’t see complaints). I wonder what that stock IPU image does, where more info can be found and if it can be used as a starting point for what you all are wanting to do???

Wow let’s stay in touch. The AI is cheaper so for a DSP platform it makes sense not interested in AI. I agree about Beagle forum between us we have enough experience to solve this.

Have a good day I’m a bit blue I had a nasty recruiter tell me my gap in employment taking care of mom rules out any contract jobs he says they want recent experience. Lol 30 plus years experience can’t get no respect especially in the open source forum haha

Stay safe

That recruiter is a disgrace for such an unconscionable, absurd statement! Many of us are in that boat and most reputable employers allow their employees time-off to deal with taking care of family members. It’s probably just as well that they told you that in that getting further along in the process with them probably would have caused even more frustration…

I know, it’s difficult on here at times, but my experience is, if you do the groundwork first, either/both BB.org and/or the community members will help. Have gotten a lot of help on here previously…

Hi Jeff

Yes do the homework agreed. One has to understand the RTOS support isn’t beagle.org and e2e isn’t for the Debian kernel I think that’s clear to most people except beginners. I agree both this group and e2e are great resources and this group has done a lot to promote learning Linux. There is a gap for learning RTOS especially in colleges. Both operating system have there merits is my message.

Thanks

I got lazy…

Was trying to figure out how to build app_host (part of the ex02_message) example natively on the BBB, when I said… Won’t hurt anything if I try running it the exe built under TI SDK Linux on the BB-X15.
At first, I got the following, when I tried to run as Debian, but then when logged in as su, it just worked…

Now am scratching my head as to why this works… The API’s between the app and remoteproc/rpmsg/vring buffers are the same???

debian@beaglebone:~/ipc-starter$ ./app_host -l
→ main:
Processor List
Ipc_start: LAD_connect() failed: 4
Error: main_host.c, line 198: Ipc_start failed

But then su…

debian@beaglebone:~/ipc-starter$ su
Password:
root@beaglebone:/home/debian/ipc-starter# ./app_host -l
→ main:
Processor List
procId=0, procName=HOST
procId=1, procName=IPU2
procId=2, procName=IPU1
procId=3, procName=DSP2
procId=4, procName=DSP1

root@beaglebone:/home/debian/ipc-starter# ./app_host IPU1
→ main:
→ Main_main:
→ App_create:
App_create: Host is ready
← App_create:
→ App_exec:
App_exec: sending message 1
App_exec: sending message 2
App_exec: sending message 3
App_exec: message received, sending message 4
App_exec: message received, sending message 5
App_exec: message received, sending message 6
App_exec: message received, sending message 7
App_exec: message received, sending message 8
App_exec: message received, sending message 9
App_exec: message received, sending message 10
App_exec: message received, sending message 11
App_exec: message received, sending message 12
App_exec: message received, sending message 13
App_exec: message received, sending message 14
App_exec: message received, sending message 15
App_exec: message received
← App_exec: 0
→ App_delete:
← App_delete:
← Main_main:
← main:
root@beaglebone:/home/debian/ipc-starter#

debian@beaglebone:~/ipc-starter$ cat /etc/dogtag
BeagleBoard.org Debian Buster IoT TIDL Image 2020-04-06
debian@beaglebone:~/ipc-starter$ uname -r
4.14.108-ti-r131

processor_sdk_rtos_am57xx_6_03_00_106
/ti/ipc_3_50_04_08/examples/DRA7XX_linux_elf/ex02_messageq$
/ti-processor-sdk-linux-am57xx-evm-06.03.00.106$

Wonderful.

So for myself and everyone else in group understanding is this following correct?

DSP to ARM messaging works using Debian and the SDK DSP examples loaded on DSP by Linux automatically?

Remoteproc loaded the DSP image from Linux and started it?

For those that don’t care for JTAG debugging or don’t own one can use printf debug is available to debug their DSP applications?

Anybody wanting to do same can use these DSP examples as a starting point look at source code and modify these examples into TI RTOS examples assuming they are not already using TI RTOS.

Be wonderful to know how big the shared memory is and where to increase it but I think that can be left to the learner.

Thank you for sharing this.

modify

No, not yet Mark,… wa wa

This was Debian<->IPU (built on TI SDK, but loaded to IPU via Debian RPROC).
Looks like Debian can load IPU exe’s to the IPU’s via REMOTEPROC and then exchange messages (?via RPMSG?).
I tried the IPU , because I could see in the IPU ex02 IPC code where the resource table appears to be getting populated/initialized. I couldn’t find evidence of resource_table init within DSP code in ex02, only that space was allocated in the link map. So I decided to copy over the IPU exe built under the TI RTOS SDK IPU examples to Debian on the BB-X15 and try that. Also there was a stock IPU image running/loaded on the BB-X15 Debian image. I’m curious about what that does and where the source code is for it…

Haven’t yet been able to get the DSP to load via RPROC. Am still getting resource_table not found and a ‘-2’ load error when I attempt to load the DSP from Debian using RPROC. I would think the TI IPC SDK examples would build properly, so investigating whether the .resource_table is getting initialized correctly could be a red herring… Next-step after the resource table maybe to load the same exe on the TI SDK Linux image running on the BB-X15…

Not sure what’s needed to send printf’s from the IPU or DSP to a Linux debug console via IPC…

Regards, Jeff

Jeff

I have found much more documentation including how to move and change the DSP and M4 carve outs sizes some of it references the TRM but summarizes it for a newb like myself and the three people in this group including you that needed it and asked
There a professor at UIC who needs this data as well his use case is TI RTOS DSP apps /Debian for his class

Part of the problem is the SDK documents which describe RPMsg and Remote Proc were shuffled around for some reason

I saw a panic post in this group about preserving some wiki data I hope its not this data I am grabbing everything I can related including TRM

Bottom line you can do anything you want in SDK with any core and the Docs are Gonzo good

I’m not seeing the OP even responding and dont know why they didnt dig deeper maybe they waiting for you to code it all up LOL

I see no value in confusing anyone more in here except a summary after this post to help the students and Professor

You are confusing me abit about what you have working probally because I have not digested all the docs I found and digested your comments and replys which are very generous

Give me a day to digest the SDK provided docs and email me directly if you have questions I feel confident enough to buy a board probally AI and play with SDK Linux and TI RTOS examples with and without JTAG and CCS we have different goals I dont need Debian but you and me are good if you need me or think I can help your doing quite well.

reply directlyto lazarman and please watch that you dont share private stuff in this group like the recruiter story you posted i this group that doesnt belong in here Im sure that was an accident but I feel I have found a friend and appreciate your feedback.

Lets regroup for a day and do our homework so we can summarize our research I need HW so I am envious you are a step ahead but I have more than enough docs to realize this is very well documented

Cheers my friend

Mark

No, not yet Mark,… wa wa

This was Debian<->IPU (built on TI SDK, but loaded to IPU via Debian RPROC).
Looks like Debian can load IPU exe’s to the IPU’s via REMOTEPROC and then exchange messages (?via RPMSG?).
I tried the IPU , because I could see in the IPU ex02 IPC code where the resource table appears to be getting populated/initialized. I couldn’t find evidence of resource_table init within DSP code in ex02, only that space was allocated in the link map. So I decided to copy over the IPU exe built under the TI RTOS SDK IPU examples to Debian on the BB-X15 and try that. Also there was a stock IPU image running/loaded on the BB-X15 Debian image. I’m curious about what that does and where the source code is for it…

Haven’t yet been able to get the DSP to load via RPROC. Am still getting resource_table not found and a ‘-2’ load error when I attempt to load the DSP from Debian using RPROC. I would think the TI IPC SDK examples would build properly, so investigating whether the .resource_table is getting initialized correctly could be a red herring… Next-step after the resource table maybe to load the same exe on the TI SDK Linux image running on the BB-X15…

Not sure what’s needed to send printf’s from the IPU or DSP to a Linux debug console via IPC…

Regards, Jeff

Gentlemen,

I have been lurking here as a total noob, trying to exploit all the goodness in the AI. For my application (University level physiology project), I’ve got the AI running well, using one of the PRUs for deterministic I/O (Thanks to Mark Yoder’s PRU Cookbook), but I would love to be able to get the DSPs going as well. So please keep up the good work and let us know what you’re able to uncover and get working.

df

Hi Darren

Jeff has actual hardware I dont
hopefully we will summarize soon.

What is your application. Define it. Are you just playing or does it have requirements?
Do you use RPMSG now?
Do you have jtag?
Are you open to an IDE like CCS to compile C66 code or want command line
Will your DSP share data with ARM is it barebones or RTOS?

And the biggest unresolved what happens if your Linux app can’t use Debian we hope that’s not the case but can you learn how to build stuff and have the time to learn in a Yocto environment and meet your project deadlines teach yourself TI RTOS and maybe break your PRU application :wink:

How much time do you have?

At a minimum you will need to read all SDK documents, decide about RTOS or barebones it’s kind of like a cookbook but Building DSP code isn’t documented anywhere else if it is no can find it.

Basically you should start reading Linux SDK/RTOS docs for AI right now install tools and modify your board for JTAG debugging if you really want to learn real world skills with source level debugging. If your goal is copying a DSP binary to ARM to see DSP to ARM IPC this works right now guaranteed if you run SDK linux Jeff is verifying will it work on Debian it should we don’t know.

Either way the answer is well documented had you looked and downloaded the SDK it explains how to utilize an AM5729 DSP. And with JTAG it doesn’t matter what Linux is running on ARM and it really shouldn’t anyway. Jeff’s verifying that true.

I suggest you got lots of reading to do and tools to install easy week of fun.

What are waiting for :rofl:

You got 2 engineer’s with 60 year’s experience to ask questions for a 1 week go for it

I’m using Debian, and relied heavily on Mark Yoder’s PRU cookbook to get one of the PRUs receiving analog data from an ADS1299 via SPI (bitbang on the PRU), and the data is then sent over to the A15 side via rpmsg. Although I can’t really complain about how things are working, I feel like I should be able to get greater efficiency from the setup if I could use one of the DSPs to do signal processing, and take that load off the A15. So I’m thinking PRU->DSP->A15 for the data flow.

Your point about the SDK is well taken. I will work through those resources!

Many thanks,
df