Disable X in new Rev C Debian Image

Hello there,
I have searched a while on how to disable GUI on BeagleBone Black but most of the answers I ahve found were regarding the old Angstrom image that havent worked for the new Debian one. I would really aprichiate if anyone could tell me how to disable X on Rev C Debian. The exact version is:

`
Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone47 #1 SMP Fri Apr 11 01:36:09 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

`

I would aprichiate any help.

X is started by lightdm... Disable lightdm..

Regards,

I have come to that. Could you tell me how to do that?

W dniu 2014-09-29 15:20, Robert Nelson pisze:

The method I have found about adding optargs=text to the uEnv file doesnt quite work. I am in console then but I cant see the login screen, there are just some loading text strings. In the same time I can ssh to the beaglebone already.

W dniu poniedziałek, 29 września 2014 15:20:40 UTC+2 użytkownik RobertCNelson napisał:

Would flashing the console only version of Debian to the beaglebone work?
It has no x-server code loaded and is a very small footprint.
You can use apt-get install to add things as necessary.

The thing is I wouldnt want to get rid of it completlly, I could remove it if so. It seems that I managed to do this, but for some reason I need to press enter at the start to show the login screen

This is the best approach if you want an 'ssh to it only' system.
Trying to remove X and all the other GUI bits is a long and difficult
task whereas adding a few bits to a minimal system is fairly easy.

Actually, starting from the LXDE image and then removing stuff you do not want works fine. IF, and this is a big if, you know exactly what packages to remove for each thing you do not want. However, there is always aptitude which is a smart where managing packages are concerned.

Although I do tend to agree, it is best to start with a minimal image. and work your way up into what you want. There is less chance for something to go wrong this way. Yet we may not know various things such as if this person has project files on an existing filesystem already( or not ).

I havent started to work on this image yet. I wouldnt thibk of building my own image for the bbb from scratch, I have never done that. I thought it would be esier to just turn off the xwindows. I dont to work woth embedded Qt wigdets application, but only one without the gui enviroment around. Is building a new image really worth it? I always thought its kinda hard to do that.

So start with the console image here:

http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-09-03

Regards,

Alright ill give it a try. I believe i need to power up my beaglebone from a sd card to flash this into emmc. Are there any catches in here?

Yes, building a new image is worth it. BUt you would not have to do ths entierly from scratch, as at least one bare file system exists. I would recommend you use what Robert suggested though. As it sounds as though you need to understand Linux better - first.

Your choice, either use the "flasher" which runs a flashing script of
the microSD or the "standalone" which just runs off the microSD..

Regards,

So ler me make sure I understand. If i put the flasher image on a Sd card and put it into bbb, it will automatically flash the image to emmc? I used to do this manually, i downloaded the image while booyed on sd card image and used dd.

So ler me make sure I understand. If i put the flasher image on a Sd card and put it into bbb, it will automatically flash the image to emmc? I used to do this manually, i downloaded the image while booyed on sd card image and used dd.

Thank you, ill give it a try.

Hello there,
I have installed the console image as you advice. My problem now is that The USB network adapter isnt present and the power button doesnt work- the second problem also occured when I installed the standard rev C image. Are there ways to fix this issue?

Just an FYI: there are two chapters in my book, Hacking and Penetration Testing with Low Power Devices, dedicated to building your own distro for the Beagles in a semiautomated way. The process I describe starts from a minimal system then adds packages from a Christmas list.

I just checked it on Amazon, I would love to look it up, but unfortenutelly its not on my budget. In Europe it would be even more expensive coz the price would be in euros.

Publisher currently has better price than amazon for most people here http://store.elsevier.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780128007518&locale=en_EU&country=be

Be warned that they are currently upgrading their fulfillment systems, so you might want the eBook if you want lowest cost and quick service. They are also offering free eBook with print purchase, but only if you buy at full price.