except for one thing, the Gate One SSH client never works. It's been
indicated to me that perhaps this is due to recent updates to the
Chrome browser, but I can't get it to work in any browser, ever, on
Linux or Windows clients.

Can we replace the Gate One SSH client with instruction to SSH to the
BBB using a terminal?

Thanks
Bill

I would not shed a single tear if this were done. Terminal works fine for me.

Gerald

I prefer using PuTTy. I wrote a wiki on how to get it working here! http://circuitco.com/support/index.php?title=Terminal_Shells
If you use Google Chrome, you should try out Secure Shell. The instructions on how to install it are in the Terminal Shell page as well.

If it partially loads but doesn’t finish, try closing the gate one tab and and clear browsing history in Chrome’s tools menu. The default of the last hour has always worked for me. When I reopen gate one’s web page it fully loads.

Gate One makes it much simpler to get a shell on the bone “out of the box” then with putty…when it works anyway.

If you know how to use SSH ( puTTY or whatever ) then I would say it is less useful for you. However, I was talking to someone on IRC about a month ago who said he had plans on building in what sounded like lots of useful functionality. Dont ask me exactly what I do not remember, but I do recall it seemed very useful( perhaps SCP, etc ).

What say the powers that be?

I’m in the process of testing integration of tty.js into the BoneScript server. I think that might be a viable alternative.

I say we just drop fake ssh clients and recommend people to use putty/openssh/etc. Half assed browser based stuff isn't going to make the experience better.

I agree with K2 on uising something like Putty…

Gerald

I agree with K2 on uising something like Putty..

I'll see about documenting this in the GSG. Do we care about Mac
hosts? I hadn't noticed them covered in the GSG.

I would say so. Jason is a MACer

Gerald

We should include putty on the boards. Macs ship with ssh. I find the fake clients (when they work) to be a great asset to newbies. People don’t grow up knowing the command line anymore and we need a low entry. Mac and Linux hosts provide a reasonably low entry with built-in ssh clients. If Putty is the approach for Windows, it needs to be bundled.

Also, many of your users (like me) have Macs or Linux boxes, and already have a ssh client.

Raspberry Pi users are familiar with this way of working. And, like it or not, that is important.

Raspberry Pi has blazed the trail for mass hobby use of this kind of board. I’m not saying copy Raspberry Pi exactly, but if you make things as similar as possible, the cost of switching will be much lower. 1.5 million Raspberry Pi users can’t be wrong.

Make things easy and stable, then stop and let the community do its own thing. It worked for Arduino, it worked for Raspberry Pi, I really want it to work that way for you too.

Si.

Couldn't agree more.

And hello, Simon. Love your books. I have several.

I certainly do!

Nobody likes being excluded.

Everything I write now, has to be paralleled for Windows, Mac and Linux. People expect that all three should be supported. There are a lot of us Mac uses out there.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what’s a CSG? Google tells me its ‘Columbus School for Girls’ but somehow I doubt that.

Si.

Sorry, that should have been GSG and mean Getting Started Guide.

I thought is was Go Software Go.

Gerald

I certainly do!

I use Macs and Linux daily. Don’t have a working Windows machine anymore.

Everything I write now, has to be paralleled for Windows, Mac and Linux. People expect that all three should be supported. There are a lot of us Mac uses out there.

Agreed.

BTW, tty.js “just works”, but I understand if folks just want to push console ssh + putty. Personally, I think completing a web-based suite is important in today’s environment, despite the fact I’d rarely use it myself. I hardly use Cloud9 IDE myself either, but it really lowers the barriers compared to Eclipse, vim, etc. — but it really needs native gcc build support. :frowning:

Also, pardon my ignorance, but what’s a CSG? Google tells me its ‘Columbus School for Girls’ but somehow I doubt that.

http://beagleboard.org/Getting+Started and START.htm that ships on the board (http://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-getting-started + http://github.com/beagleboard/bone101)

Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:02 AM
To: "beagle-alpha@googlegroups.com" <beagle-alpha@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [beagle-alpha] GateOne SSH Client useful or not?

I certainly do!

I use Macs and Linux daily. Don't have a working Windows machine anymore.

Everything I write now, has to be paralleled for Windows, Mac and Linux.
People expect that all three should be supported. There are a lot of us Mac
uses out there.

Agreed.

BTW, tty.js "just works", but I understand if folks just want to push
console ssh + putty. Personally, I think completing a web-based suite is
important in today's environment, despite the fact I'd rarely use it myself.
I hardly use Cloud9 IDE myself either, but it really lowers the barriers
compared to Eclipse, vim, etc. --- but it really needs native gcc build
support. :frowning:

And it needs to work. I've found the Gate One SSH client to fail more
than it works. But perhaps we can fix it.