Kichstarter Project: BeagleCore - miniaturized computer module compatible with BeagleBone Black

Hi!

I recently red about the BeagleCore project: http://beaglecore.com/

They already started a campaign on kickstarter, selling the boards for 39$ plus shipping: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beaglecore/beaglecore-100-open-source-iot-device

I ordered one module to design a custom baseboard with the same functionality as my current cape, but with an optimized placement of connectors etc, while keeping the software 100% compatible (at least this is what they claim).

BR
Robert

(I have no affiliation with the project or one of these guys)

Thats... interesting. Like a Pi Compute Module, without the DIMM connector.
I'm not sure how you are expected to connect this to anything. The Kickstarter showsa graphic of a spinning board, and the underside seems to have a series of empty pads. So maybe you are expected to surface mount it, like a big BGA.
Unfortunately, the same graphic shows a bunch of SMD cpacitors on the bottom side. Making a flush mount impossible.
Maybe you are expected to drill a series of relief holes in your carrier board?

Well, their video is first-rate.

I’m a little confused by the product idea. I like the idea of a small module… but with the baseboard added, so it is equivalent to a BBB, the price is $110, 2X the price of a BBB. The two must be soldered together, so you don’t gain a pluggable/replaceable module. What is the benefit in that? I also wonder

1. How can they promise availability for 7+ years unless they have a promise from TI to make the AM335x and other parts for that long? How can they promise this new company will be in business for 7+ years?
  2. On the Beaglecore site FAQ they claim: For genuine embedded industrial applications the existing BeagleBoard hardware is not suitable due to several reasons. Currently professional embedded computer-on-module applications use 100% defined and well engineered standards from PICMG (such as COM Express) or SGET (such as Qseven and SMARC). How is their LGA module somehow compliant with these standards? Is their baseboard? How is my (required) custom baseboard any more compliant? I also question that these standards are really important to a lot of applications: if they are, go buy a COM Express board for way more than BBB: http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/articles/view/101717
  3. On the Beaglecore website it says the core must be carefully soldered to the baseboard: It also means that the soldering has to be executed by a professional EMS company or by an experienced soldering technician. This package is called Land Grid Array (LGA)
  4. The magic software BeagleSuite promises a lot: Now you can create your own IoT project without programming! With BeagleSuite™ the Internet of Things is just a few clicks away. Attach any sensor to your BeagleCore™ powered board or simply use a BeagleBone Black, fire up BeagleSuite™ in your favourite webbrowser and with a few clicks you can set up your own dashboard, ruleset and actions according to your needs. Really? Without any programming? Attach “any sensor”? How does that work? It is web based meaning it runs somewhere on someone’s server… the part of the project promised to be open source is the hardware only, not the BS software. Yes, you can program it as you would a BBB and not use the BS, I’m just sayin’…
  5. If just the core module is $51 (the bulk pack of 50 is USD$2569) and I can’t do anything with it without a baseboard, how does this give me more freedom vs the BBB for $55 and I add shields if I need them?
  6. Today I can get the mikroBUS cape http://beagleboard.org/project/mikrobus for only $9 (I should get some, just learned about this now) and then plug on a wide array of ‘click’ boards which are all around $20, alledgedly with C code available for all. I have not tried these nor am I in any way associated with MikroElektronika, I’m just pointing out an available (today) solution.
    I’m not trying to rain on anyone’s parade. As engineers we are trained to look at things objectively and analyze the technical merits, that’s all. Just my thinking out loud.

Well, their video is first-rate.

I’m a little confused by the product idea. I like the idea of a small module… but with the baseboard added, so it is equivalent to a BBB, the price is $110, 2X the price of a BBB. The two must be soldered together, so you don’t gain a pluggable/replaceable module. What is the benefit in that? I also wonder
How can they promise availability for 7+ years unless they have a promise from TI to make the AM335x and other parts for that long? How can they promise this new company will be in business for 7+ years?

When launched I believe TI promised 10 years for the am335x…

Yeah, what Robert said. Which is exactly what Gerald stated in a post not long ago ( for BBB availability ). With that said I have reservations of whether or not this “product” will actually be produced. I know of none of the people from pictures on the kickstarter page. And it all seems very contrived . . .

Past that, the whole “system” does not seem useful. Where there are many AM335X tiny modules on TI wiki page.

But hey, it it does come to fruition, and people like it I say more power to them. But this really offers nothing that does not already exist. And from well known distributors.

First off, thanks for your post. It’s always good to ask questions. I will try to answer them as good as I can.

I like the idea of a small module… but with the baseboard added, so it is equivalent to a BBB, the price is $110, 2X the price of a BBB. The two must be soldered together, so you don’t gain a pluggable/replaceable module. What is the benefit in that?

BeagleCore is made for business solutions though you could also use it for DIY projects. The benefit arises - like sa_Penugin states in his post - when you use it like the Pi Compute Module. If you are using BBB as a development board for a project and you are planning on going into mass production you might want to consider having your own baseboard but still rely on the core features of BeagleBone Black to accomplish your goal without reprogramming, porting and testing everything from scratch. This is why we created BeagleCore.

How can they promise availability for 7+ years unless they have a promise from TI to make the AM335x and other parts for that long?

Like RobertCNelson said: TI promised at least 10 years. This is the information we rely on.

How can they promise this new company will be in business for 7+ years?

We can not promise that. Nobody can - not even Apple or Google. But we are experienced in embedded systems and have a great network to rely on. Most people in our team have more than 15 years of experience in developing solutions such as the BeagleCore. Others have 10 years of experience in marketing and selling solutions. And Martin, the head of our team, is an experienced manager who knows how to run a business and make it a long term success. We promise to do our very best and strive for the longrun not a short win.

On the Beaglecore site FAQ they claim: For genuine embedded industrial applications the existing BeagleBoard hardware is not suitable due to several reasons. Currently professional embedded computer-on-module applications use 100% defined and well engineered standards from PICMG (such as COM Express) or SGET (such as Qseven and SMARC). How is their LGA module somehow compliant with these standards? Is their baseboard? How is my (required) custom baseboard any more compliant? I also question that these standards are really important to a lot of applications: if they are, go buy a COM Express board for way more than BBB: http://www.cotsjournalonline.com/articles/view/101717

Before we started off with the idea of bringing BeagleCore to Kickstarter we carefully researched the current market situation and discussed the topic with quite a few companies, developers and engineers. From the feedback we gathered we extracted the fact that there is possibly a market not yet seen by those who rely on COM Express and such. I wouldn’t go as far as calling COM Express “high end development” and BBB and alike “DIY development” but the difference in pricing is evident. There is a market for professional BBB solutions and we believe in the power of BeagleBone Black.

On the Beaglecore website it says the core must be carefully soldered to the baseboard: It also means that the soldering has to be executed by a professional EMS company or by an experienced soldering technician. This package is called Land Grid Array (LGA)

Like I said before: It’s more an industrial solution but if you know what you are doing you can do it all on your own. We are just trying to make our point clear about the target groups.

The magic software BeagleSuite promises a lot: Now you can create your own IoT project without programming! With BeagleSuite™ the Internet of Things is just a few clicks away. Attach any sensor to your BeagleCore™ powered board or simply use a BeagleBone Black, fire up BeagleSuite™ in your favourite webbrowser and with a few clicks you can set up your own dashboard, ruleset and actions according to your needs. Really? Without any programming? Attach “any sensor”? How does that work? It is web based meaning it runs somewhere on someone’s server… the part of the project promised to be open source is the hardware only, not the BS software. Yes, you can program it as you would a BBB and not use the BS, I’m just sayin’…

BeagleSuite is not the answer to everything - it’s a starting point. Simple solutins - and most of the IoT solutions I have seen so far - are very basic. You can build those with a few clicks. There will be ready to run scripts for standard solutions. If you want to dig deeper then you might need some programming but still rely on the simple Drag&Drop features to build dashboards or rule-based actions. We have seen many solutions out there but BeagleSuite is probably something you want to give a try. For 7€ it is worth giving it a try - even if you don’t use BeagleCore for it will run on any BBB.

If just the core module is $51 (the bulk pack of 50 is USD$2569) and I can’t do anything with it without a baseboard, how does this give me more freedom vs the BBB for $55 and I add shields if I need them?
Today I can get the mikroBUS cape http://beagleboard.org/project/mikrobus for only $9 (I should get some, just learned about this now) and then plug on a wide array of ‘click’ boards which are all around $20, alledgedly with C code available for all. I have not tried these nor am I in any way associated with MikroElektronika, I’m just pointing out an available (today) solution.

You are absolutely right. If you use our baseboard there is almost no advantage. It’s just one possible starting point for a commercial mass production project. Like I said before: BeagleCore addresses the needs of business use cases for BBB based products and solutions. The main benefit arises once you build your own baseboard which is narrowed down to your needs without using capes and add-ons. This is what we have taken from the feedback we received during our research and this is what backers have already told us. But your sceptical view on the projects is highly appreciated since we know that a lot of developers might ask themselves the same questions.

Thanks again for your feedback and I hope I could answer your questions.

Best,
Ansgar

Hi!

I think you are missing the point:

BeagleCore is not about having a BeagleBone Black Clone for double the price - it’s about using all the software/experience of the BBB community and integrate them in a “professional” (non-Cape-like) device with a custom form-factor. It is not targeted at “makers”, “cape-stackers” or “click-board-users”, but people who want to transfer their (maybe cape-based/-originated) design into a ready-to-be-sold product. Therefore I also regard the baseboard to be of little use, as, as they claim it, the BeagleCore is 100% compatible. Therefore, for my side, I will directly head towards a custom baseboard and see if I get lucky. In line with this is the soldering technique, which is, btw. the same as the PhyTec PhyCORE AM335X. PhyTec just calls it “DSC”, although you can use their DSC footprint to use some (insanely expensive) board-to-board connectors.

Therefore, I think their approach is well thought and I clearly see the rationale behind the concept. Although I am not sure if they get enough people to initial buy it to maintain a long term supply.

Best regards
Robert

Hi!

I think you are missing the point:

BeagleCore is not about having a BeagleBone Black Clone for double the price - it’s about using all the software/experience of the BBB community and integrate them in a “professional” (non-Cape-like) device with a custom form-factor. It is not targeted at “makers”, “cape-stackers” or “click-board-users”, but people who want to transfer their (maybe cape-based/-originated) design into a ready-to-be-sold product.

I think the counter point however is that 10’s of these types of products have already been in existence. Sold by “known quantity” companies. For 2-3 years now.

Do you mind mentioning some of those? I am not looking for just SOMs with AM335X but SOMs offering full software compatibility down the DT and having eMMC and not just NAND flash.

There is only one question: how will you solder this SOM? There is only one answer: nohow unless you have a professional infrared solder station. Do enthusiasts have professional equipment? No.

BBB is the best solution for enthusiasts.

I’m not talking about enthusiasts or hobbyists. TI has a wiki link to a myriad of SoMs created from their processors. That exist right_now. Most of these also use NAND flash, with 3-4 offer eMMC up to 32GB. Availability on individual SoMs ? No idea.

Do you mind mentioning some of those? I am not looking for just SOMs with AM335X but SOMs offering full software compatibility down the DT and having eMMC and not just NAND flash.

Good point, as I had not considered that until reading your post. The ones I had looked at a year or so ago were eMMC, but the majority of the ones mentioned on TI’s SOM wiki page use NAND flash. 3-4 use eMMC, but cost is only available through email contact.

On the positive side of things, for you. One of these manufactures is based in Germany.

Anyway . .

This is the SOM / SBC ( more than just am335x ) page I was speaking of: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Sitara_ARM_MPU_SOM/SBC.

And this is the am335x SOM / SBC wiki page I was speaking of: http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/Sitara_AM335x_Boards#Variscite.2C_VAR-SOM-AM33_CPU:TI_AM335x.28_AM3354_.2C_AM3352_.29_System_on_Module

Going by your comment however. You’ve already seen these links.

As an aside there was a beagelboard.org google group user who made a SOM well over a year ago and posted a link to the product site. At least that that is the way I read the post back then . . .

There is only one question: how will you solder this SOM? There is only one answer: nohow unless you have a professional infrared solder station.

You could use a reflow station, a reflow oven or - like you said - a professional infrared solder station.

Do enthusiasts have professional equipment? No.

That’s an assumptio and depends on the definition of “enthusiast”. I like the point of view that Robert Budde shared above:

“It is not targeted at “makers”, “cape-stackers” or “click-board-users”, but people who want to transfer their (maybe cape-based/-originated) design into a ready-to-be-sold product.”

BBB is the best solution for enthusiasts.

BeagleBone Black is great. No question. But for some (professionals) it is a starting point for a ready-to-be-sold product that can be mass produced. BeagleCore is not meant to replace BBB, it’s most likely the missing link for professionals.

Regards
Ansgar

I use ready to be sold modules uSomIQ AM335x. At least they have simple connectors

Отправлено с iPad

8 июля 2015 г., в 15:02, Beagle Core <core@beaglebonecore.com> написал(а):

In fact, those high density connectors can be a pain on their own:

• they cost an awful lot of money even in medium quantaties
  • alignment is critical, especially if you have more than one per board. Small alignment errors - which sometimes are even hard to avoid when using properly designed alignment holes - can lead to stress on the contacts and/or result in contact failures. The tolerances allowed in the connector specs have to be split up to alignment errors on both baseboard and som - making life not easier.

well, they cost ~$1.7 each in Digikey and there is an Altium library for the module where you can find the symbol and the footprint for the whole module. I guess the Altium library can be imported to other CADs if necessary. Having such library minimizes errors on the PCB. I did not have any problems at all

Do enthusiasts have professional equipment? No.

That’s an assumptio and depends on the definition of “enthusiast”. I like the point of view that Robert Budde shared above:

Exactly, well sort of. I would not consider myself an enthusiast, but I am a serious hobbyist. While I do not personally own such equipment, I do have access to just about anything a “professional” has access to in my home. As my buddy has been an EE for IDK 35 + years, and has acquired quite a collection. Professional grade Oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, emulators, 80’s arcade PCB test equipment, and last but not least reflow ovens. One home made out of a convection oven using an MSP430 launchpad( for which I wrote the code ), and a professional infrared reflow oven.

To be sure, there is a lot more, but I think the point is made.

Also for what it is worth, my buddy did mention to me that the beaglecore would / could be useful for him. After which he named a project we’ve been talking about. The thing about the beaglecore that threw me for a “loop” was the beaglebone type “motherboard”. But now thinking about it, everyone needs an EVAL “system” for development.

The beagleboard.org community “compatibility” ( software wise ) is also a nice touch. I am not sure how many, if any of the boards I mentioned can do that. Sure, they all offer BSPs for various OSes / distro’s . . . but that does not necessarily mean the same thing. Past that, and quite honestly, I have a strong dislike for anything bitbake, and whatever that build system is for Angstrom( I tried to put all that stuff as far out of my mind as possible ). As all that stuff I feel is not very intuitive, and can be quite a hassle to setup / use.

I really enjoy the simplicity of say setting up a rootfs using debootstrap, using chroot to modify the image to my needs, including pulling in a linux-image from the community, using dpkg to “install”. But anyway, simple standard tools are my “thing”. So in this case, the beaglecore has it nailed. Assuming it comes into fruition.

Thanks Wiliam. I really appreciate your detailed answer and - like said before - we do not think our solution to be perfect yet. This is why we try to keep in touch with the community to know what people have to say. Let’s hope the best for BeagleCore but I’m pretty sure we can make it.

Thanks Wiliam. I really appreciate your detailed answer and - like said before - we do not think our solution to be perfect yet. This is why we try to keep in touch with the community to know what people have to say. Let’s hope the best for BeagleCore but I’m pretty sure we can make it.

Well I still have my concerns. Which pretty much has nothing to do with the hardware really. Except that it is not available right_now.

But show me the hardware, when obtain-ium. Then I’ll be less reserved.

One thing I am curious about however. Pricing after this has gone to production. Then when is the projected production date ? e.g. when can the public start purchasing. If any of this can be divulged . . .