The "new" google groups

The new Google groups is totally disgusting. I can’t find the switch to go back to the old interface. None of my other groups have been switched yet. Why this one?

Is this group available through a news reader? Maybe it is time to switch back to usenet the old fashioned way!

Rick

You do know that's this is just a mailinglist that you view through some web interface, right? It still works best the old fashioned way, reading it as email.

And as I have said, right now, we cannot moderate any of the posts from non subscribersto the mailing list as Google cannot display pending messages. I hope they got the 100 reports I have sent in, but maybe my messages were moderated and they can’t see mine either!!

Gerald

why google groups at all? why not just run majordomo or mailman on the box thet hosts beagleboard.org?

-e

why google groups at all? why not just run majordomo or mailman on the box thet hosts beagleboard.org?

Google provides reliable hosting, long-term archival and some fairly nice degree of spam filtering as compared to those tools in the raw. We’d have to configure additional tools on top of those.

I hate the new UI too. But always prefer accessing group (mailing-list) through my email.

Excuse me for being ignorant, but how do I subscribe so I don’t have to try and find my way through the groups pages, and just get some nice reliable well formatted emails?

Excuse me for being ignorant, but how do I subscribe so I don't have to try and find my way through the groups pages, and just get some nice reliable well formatted emails?

Go to http://beagleboard.org/discuss and fill in your email

regards,

Koen

So do you have any idea why just this one group has changed to the “NEW” google groups interface? Any idea how to switch it back? This is so irritating I want to quit the group and start a Yahoo group.

Rick

No idea why. It worked brifely late last night and I was able to celan out the pending messages, but so far today, it is not working.

Gerald

How can I switch back to the old interface? I take it the group owner didn’t make the switch, but rather it was Google?

Rick

That is correct. I did not switch it and there is no option to switrch it back.

Gerald

How can I switch back to the old interface? I take it the group owner
didn't make the switch, but rather it was Google?

When I go to http://groups.google.com/ it still displays in the old
version with a blue bar indicating "The old Google Groups will be
going away soon. Switch to the new Google Groups.". If I click on the
"Switch to the new Google Groups" link the page refreshes to the new
version, but the second paragraph on the page says this: "You are
currently using the new Google Groups as your default experience.
Click here to switch back to the old version, but please take a minute
to tell us why you're leaving."

If I "click here" it switches back to the old version. Similarly,
there is a gold colored box on the right hand side that says "Not
ready for change? Temporarily choose the old Google Groups from the
gear menu."

So it seems like you can switch back to the old Google Groups view,
but it does imply that it'll be gone for good eventually.

Personally, I never, ever use the web based Group interface. It's
much easier to read the group via email.

I see the same thing. HOWEVER, when I click the mange link, which I have, it goes to the new google groups and says it cannot load pending messages. There is no option to switch back to the old google groups on this page.

Gerald

I don’t see the header about using the new format and switching back to the old. I never used the link in the old interface to switch to the new.

This is exactly why I can’t stand this “new” interface. I was typing a reply and it suddenly took me back to the list losing my message in the process! Talk about buggy!!!

I can’t continue to use this interface and I don’t wish to read it via email. There are far too many posts on topics I’m not interested in. This group is not a newsgroup, but only a Google group, so it is not readable in a newsreader.

Any interest in switching to a functional group like Yahoo? Even the moderator can’t get it to work!!!

I am actually very satisfied:-) What I would love to see is a community wiki to keep information together for newbies to ease the starting pain and to learn feom the experts.

Markus

What about :

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardBeginners

It even says:

"This is the "community" beginners guide for TI's ARM based
  OMAP3 Beagle Board"

that's almost word-for-word what you want. It looks like I'm able to edit pages, although I couldn't see how to create a new page. Probably just my blind spot.

Michael

The new UI is a bit confusing, but proposing switching the UI
nightmare that Yahoo groups are is an exaggeration. You can report
problems with the new layout using the feedback tool from the
drop-down menu in the upper-left corner of the page. It won't bring
your lost post back, but at least the google team will have a chance
to fix the problem.
BTW. I learned about the layout change from this thread. Reading
through email interface has always been the most convenient option. If
you're not interested in reading all the emails, you can configure
your subscription to email a daily digest rather than individual
messages. I receive digests from other discussion groups and they save
me a lot of time on sifting through all posts I'm not interested in.

j.

What about :

http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardBeginners

It even says:

"This is the "community" beginners guide for TI's ARM based
   OMAP3 Beagle Board"

that's almost word-for-word what you want. It looks like I'm able to edit
pages, although I couldn't see how to create a new page. Probably just my
blind spot.

http://elinux.org/Help:Starting_a_new_page

If you have any issues, please email me, as I'm the admin/editor.

Thanks Bill,

I was thinking of documenting what I've learned while getting GPIO working on my BBxM. I'll see first if there already is a suiable page, otherwise I'll start a new one

Michael